We invite students to an exceptional experience!
Students who engage in our new International Student Community will have the opportunity to explore, discover, grow, and contribute to our multi-national living-learning community. The ISC is an application-only residential program that builds community while transcending borders.
Please join us for our Open House on 8 May or 29 May to learn more.
BUILDING COMMUNITY, TEARING DOWN WALLS
The University of Notre Dame at Tantur invites students to be part of the first residential international student community in Jerusalem. The University welcomes students from all walks of life that are interested in forming and engaging with a community that follows Christian values and fosters interfaith dialog.
The international student community is part of the larger community of Tantur, the home for multiple programs and groups. It hosts students from the University of Notre Dame that are doing their study abroad program or other graduate programs. It hosts scholars, clergy and other guests that are conducting their research at Tantur or visiting one of the multiple programs that are offered by Tantur. Students are welcome to participate in this diverse community by joining us for meals, participating in prayer and joining the different social and intellectual events offered.
We welcome applicants from the local community as well as from international locations.
Benefits for Participants
Participants will engage in an international, multi-lingual, living-learning community housed on the UNDT campus while pursuing academic studies through local or international universities/colleges. Students will receive the following benefits:
- Private room and shared bathroom in an apartment with other students;
- Access to community spaces at Tantur, including a small gym and other meeting rooms;
- Participation in a diverse and collaborative community of students and other scholars;
- Ability to join us in the Tantur dining hall for breakfast, lunch, or dinner;
- Dedicated student life staff;
- Optional access to shuttle transportation coordinated by UNDT;
- All day access to the Tantur library with study rooms, including online access to the Hesburgh Library of the University of Notre Dame;
- Opportunities to learn from global leaders in a wide range of specialties, especially in the fields of Christian ecumenism, biblical studies, and modern history;
- Optional participation in the ecumenical Christian prayer life of the Tantur community, and the option to reflect on the rich and unique experience of the Tantur community;
- Visits to places of interest and discussions with leaders in the religious, social, and political realms; and,
- Leadership opportunities through hosting visiting individuals and groups to Tantur.
Expectations from Participants
Participants will be part of a wider residential community that includes staff members with their families, University of Notre Dame students studying abroad in Jerusalem, continuing education program participants from around the world, and guests and pilgrims who stay at Tantur for varying amounts of time. Ideal candidates will:
- Desire to live in a community of scholars inspired by Christian values;
- Be open to new ideas and find value in interacting with others who may have different beliefs and experiences than their own;
- Attend UNDT academic, cultural, social, and spiritual events on a regular basis;
- Participate in a community dinner in the Tantur dining room on a regular basis;
- Enjoy interacting with US college students; and,
- Share their knowledge and experiences, especially of the local area, with the rest of the Tantur community through impromptu and scheduled events.
Candidates will be expected to participate in the communal life of Tantur as outlined above while also having the freedom and flexibility to fulfill their other responsibilities and pursue other interests. Tantur hopes to provide a mutually beneficial environment for students and scholars in the local community as well as the short- and long-term guests at Tantur, including our U.S. study abroad students. Applicants should anticipate joining and building a community that is diverse in age, religion, country of origin, and cultural backgrounds, knowing that the community operates within a distinctly ecumenical Christian context.
The standard community package price is ₪2500 per month. Students in the first cohort will be entitled to a one-time discount of 30% on the standard package price for the first semester.
- a private room
- shared bathroom
- participation in program events
- one warm meal per day in the Tantur dining room (students can also choose to purchase additional meals for discounted prices)
For additional fees, students may also upgrade to have use of a private bathroom, and use our optional transportation services.
Initial housing contracts would be signed for at least 1 semester, with the opportunity to renew for up to 5 semesters (6 semesters total).
Students with specific needs may apply for financial aid. Partial scholarships may be available for students who apply and are selected for specific leadership positions at UNDT or who have special circumstances.
We welcome students from all walks of life who are excited by the opportunity to help shape and participate in a diverse living-learning community. Ideal applicants will desire to participate in a diverse international community at a Christian and ecumenical center, and to engage with study abroad students from the University of Notre Dame, a US American university. Accommodations are available year-round, and accepted students may be able to renew their participation for up to 6 semesters in consultation with program staff.
Priority application deadlines:
- 1 July to enter ISC in the Fall semester
- 1 December to enter ISC in the Spring semester
If you believe you are a good fit for the program, please submit your cover letter explaining how you will benefit from and contribute to a living-learning community in Jerusalem, a brief CV or biographical statement, and the name and contact information for a reference via the link below. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.